Some Helpful Do’s and Don’ts for Social Media Marketing in Business

For export marketing and most other types of business, it is essential to make social media marketing an integral part of an overall marketing and promotions program. For those particularly doing eCommerce, chances are that their customers, existing as well as potential, are also all active users of Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, Instagram, LinkeIn and/or other of the known free social networking platforms. Thus, for a business to succeed, it is important to keep in mind some basic rules for interacting with other people while on the social media platforms. Here are some basic do’s and don’ts from industry experts you may want to consider:


  1. Do take the time to listen to your audience. Don’t ignore, or worse, delete the negative comments on your social media pages. Use the feedback gathered to take concrete action that can improve your reputation on the Internet.


  1. Do find out who are those who comprise your audience. Tailor your social media pages according to the demographic profile and known preferences of your consumer base, not based on your own interests or what’s convenient for you. Marketing experts suggest an “80:20” rule of thumb where you make 80% or more of your content relevant to your market audience and use the remaining 20% or less to talk about your business, products or services or yourself. Create helpful content and interact regularly with your social media audience.


  1. Don’t rely too much on your robot app or service to post automated replies to common customer queries. Spare at least an hour each day to personally review and attend to the comments posted by others on your social media pages. If you feel compelled to disagree, do it firmly but politely. Do aim to show some your brand personality to help people differentiate you different from the competition.


  1. Don’t treat the social media sites as a one-size-fits-all affair. Don’t post the same content and message across all platforms. Each social media network has its own intended tone and audience. For instance, on Facebook or Twitter, you can be casual and informal in your engagement with others. On LinkedIn, on the other hand, you may need to be more reserved and formal when dealing with your fellow professionals.


  1. Nobody likes spam, whether it be on email or on social networking, so don’t do it. If you are constantly posting the same information repeatedly from one platform to the next, you’ll likely just annoy your audience.


  1. Do consider the timing of the posting of your content and messages in accordance with the demographics of your audience. Don’t disregard the built-in analytics of the social media platforms. Find out when your followers are most active on the different social media sites and make your postings and comments during those time.

To assist your export marketing, we offer various web marketing services covering SEO friendly web design, SEO, Google Adwords, worldimporter directories for targeted email marketing, etc. For details of our export marketing and SEO services, please visit our website.


Source: Editor
(Specializing in SEO friendly Export Marketing Web Design, Search Engine Optimization, Google Adwords, Email Marketing tools, Export Website Redesign, and other emarketing services)


More Posts

Suggested Strategies For Trademark Protection In Hong Kong

Hong Kong trademark registration approval doesn’t automatically mean protection in China despite Hong Kong’s administrative status. Here are a few suggestions on trademark protection strategies to protect their trademark rights both in and outside of Hong Kong.

Send Us A Message